ATM OCN (Meteorology) 100
MIDLATITUDE WEATHER SYSTEMSPART III: ANTICYCLONES
Lecture #21-B Scheduled for:
21 JUL 2004 (W)
Recommended Readings from Moran (2002):
Today's Lecture Objectives:
- To summarize anticyclonic weather.
- To compare and contrast the distinguishing weather features of cyclones and anticyclones.
- To identify those potentially hazardous weather events associated with anticyclones.
Series continues from Midlatitude Weather Systems: The Extratropical Cyclone
B. MIGRATORY MIDLATITUDE ANTICYCLONES
- Types of Anticyclones
- Characteristics of Migratory Anticyclones
- Comparison with Migratory Mid-Latitude Cyclones
- Importance of Anticyclones
C. "HAZARDOUS" ANTICYCLONES
- Cold Waves
- Heat Waves
- Air Pollution Episodes
Series continues as Midlatitude Weather Systems - Linking Surface and Upper Air
Last revision 3 August 2004 (0405 UTC)
Produced by Edward J. Hopkins, Ph.D.
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, WI 53706